Eye Stories 10 : NYX Retractable Eyeliner in Black/Noir (SPONSORED)

10:45:00 PM

Hey guys, i'm welcoming you (back, hopefully) with another eye related product review.

I know i review a lot of lip products before, but it turns out that this blog has its seasons and it is now definitely eye products season >.< (yes, it's a way of telling you to be ready for more eye products' reviews, don't get bored!).

This time round, i am reviewing a retractable eyeliner from NYX that Sociolla kindly sent me.
NYX Retractable Eyeliner in Noir (or Black. Noir just sounds so much sexier and more mysterious *LOL*)
Let me begin by honestly telling you that i have a not-so-good experience with NYX's eyeliner before (the liquid kind. I got a dud one or something, it was so dry from the first time i opened it and the color won't come out! I practically bought it for nothing because it couldn't be used like, at all >.<) and eyeliner is probably the least exciting thing for me when it comes to makeup (it's not like i don't like eyeliners, i can't live without them! They're more like a staple product that i am contend for having one or two max at any given time, i have no desire to try 10 different ones at the same time. They're simply not something i get excited about!) so... I felt like "meh..." when i saw it *LOL*.

Clearly the eyeliner and i didn't start on the right note and it probably sensed it -___-.
The brand new eyeliner is sealed with a clear plastic wrap (clear in one side, white on the other)
And the list of ingredients are printed on that plastic wrap so once you rip it open, you can no longer say "I'll just read it later" haha. Anyway, here's the ingredient list that i found online :
Cyclopentasiloxane, Synthetic Beeswax, Microcrystalline Wax / Cera Microcristallina, Mica, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Myristyl Lactate, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Myristyl Alcohol, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glyceryl Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Ferric Ferrocyanied, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, Tin Oxide, Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Iron Oxides (CI 77491). Red 28 lake (CI 45410).
To use it, you need to rip the plastic wrap off *sorry for being Captain Obvious here!*
How the eyeliner looks once you take off the plastic wrap
It's waterproof but it doesn't state to be smudge proof or water resistant (which is important if you have oily eyes)
NYX Retractable Eyeliner comes in a very basic slim plastic tube (each color has corresponding tube color as the product, now that's actually really nice! I think i would be a lot more excited if i got any other color but boring black >.<) that well, can be retracted *LOL*. You just need to twist the bottom to control it
The mechanism of the tube is not bad at all, i had bad experiences with retractable products that didn't retract *GRRRR* in the past so i am always super cautious about winding them up too much in fear of ruining it, but this one feels very sturdy and reassuring. So much that i dared to do this :
Twisting it up to the end so i can show you how much products you would get (0.35 gr. And that's a lot of eyeliner alright, would take me forever to finish)
Yes, it retracted back easily and without any fuss. I tried to use it on my eyelid (FYI, i normally only use liquid eyeliner on my eyelid and crayon/pencil liner for my waterline. 90% of all crayon/pencil liner would smudge on my eyelid because of my eye shape-i have tapered eyelids) for this blog post, and for a second i was beaming because : 1. It's EXTREMELY pigmented, i mean... With very soft swipe, the jet black color already shows on my skin. 2. It's super soft and creamy.

But on the next second, this happened :
It broke, and broke my heart with it -___-
I really hate it when my brand new makeup (or any possession la, i'm very OCD you know) breaks >.<. I tried to calm down and inspect the damage (it was bad). Because it broke straight, i was left with a flat, fat surface. How am i suppose to line my eyes with fat, flat crayon??? I also have no idea how to sharpen crayon eyeliners (i know there are special sharpeners for them, but i don't have them) *sigh*. I tried to calm down and use it anyway -___-.
And ended up with very fat, not precise line
You can see how opaque the color is though, even when i swipe it super lightly in fear of breaking it even worse
One more thing, even though it's soft and creamy, it actually drags a bit on my skin (otherwise it wouldn't break so easily i think)
I actually love how pigmented it is, but unfortunately i really have no love lost with this eyeliner >.<, she's just not the one! 

I was supposed to go out right away, but some problem arises and i ended up going about an hour later. I was really really sleepy so i took a 20 minutes power nap. Woke up like this :
Er. It doesn't look that bad in the picture, but i was quite shocking IRL. I was like "WHOA!!!" when i saw myself in the mirror. Sadako wants her eye ring back, #Pink!!!
It's definitely not smudge proof. I actually expected it to smudge a little bit, but not this bad. It also stains my upper lid, but not as bad as the way it melts under my eyes.

I was able to salvage the damage with some makeup remover and adding concealer+powder, here's how it looks with full makeup on :
I think this eyeliner is probably better suited for drier, colder climate? Because i saw positive reviews from other users (granted, each color might have different quality. Maybe the other colors are more forgiving than the black one?), but for me who lives in a very hot and humid city (Surabaya is HOT y'all!), even with my air conditioner on maximum capacity, this eyeliner is not a match mad in heaven for me.

I think it's usable for you who are aiming for a smokey look? I totally think it can be blended easily (i tried, forgot to take pics) for a sexy, smokey eyes. And i would still use it for my waterline, i just need to apply eye shadow before hand (Tip : matte eye shadow helps to hold and lock the eyeliner in!).

It's not like i don't like NYX as a brand, i honestly haven't been trying a lot of their products (i like their Candy liner! It's the liquid, sparkly ones! It dries out fast on the tube though) but i do love their lipstick (singular, because i only have one). I just think that i don't have the best of luck with their eyeliners >.<. This doesn't prevent me from wanting to try out their other products though. 

I would recommend this eyeliner for those of you who are looking for a very pigmented, soft and creamy eyeliner that can be smudge easily for smokey eye look.

Not recommending this for those who have the same type of eyes and skin type as mine and looking for smudge free eyeliner (i'm not saying it's unusable, it CAN be used with different tricks, but that require a lot of efforts *LOL*).

NYX Retractable Eyeliner is available in a LOT of other colors :
While i would not repurchase the black one for obvious reason (dear NYX, it's not you, it's me...), i wouldn't mind trying the other, more exciting color like the Aqua Green one!

NYX Retractable Eyeliner (and other products from NYX) is available in Sociolla for IDR 105.000. If you want to shop for NYX products (or other brands), don't forget to use my referral and discount code to take off IDR 50.000 from your purchase (with minimum spending of IDR 200.000. My code has been renewed and can be used for the next 6 months, yay!).
Thank you Sociolla for sending me the product ^^!

#Pink

You Might Also Like

0 comments